- Not every lump in the breast is cancer.
Fact: Only a small percentage of breast lumps are diagnosed to be cancer.
- Only if you have a family history will you develop breast cancer.
Fact: Genetic factors are estimated to cause only 5% to 10% of breast cancer cases.
- Men do not get breast cancer.
Fact: 1% of breast cancer occurs in men.
- Breast cancer is contagious.
Fact: No its definitely not.
- Mammogram can prevent cancer.
Fact: Mammogram will help in early detection of cancer.
- Wearing a bra (tight/underwired) increases the risk of cancer.
Fact: Wearing a bra and type of bra does not effect cancer rate.
- Removing the entire breast (mastectomy) is better than just removing the cancer (lumpectomy) and having radiation treatment, in terms of survival.
Fact: Discuss with your doctor the various options available to you.
- Presence BRCA1and BRCA2 gene mutation does not mean you have to develop cancer.
Fact: The chances of developing cancer is much higher in the presence of this mutation but not 100%. Talk to your doctor about risk reducing measures.
- Antiperspirants and deodorants cause breast cancer.
Fact: Researchers do not have any conclusive evidence for this.
- Having an breast implant increases the risk of cancer.
Fact: Implants do not increase the risk of cancer, however more mammogram views may be required to examine the breast.